Monday 7 January 2019

Rivervalley's January Block

This month's block is a Modern Dresden.  A traditional Dresden is made up of 18 degree wedges.  I decided to use a 15 degree wedge.  You may use whatever size you wish.


I started with a variety of scrap strips, from 2 1/2" to 3 1 /2" wide.


I added a 3 1/2" strip of background to each side of the scraps.


Next up was cutting wedges with my 15 degree ruler.



I varied where I placed the ruler so that I would get different amounts of background top and bottom. For the corners of the blocks make sure the wedge is at least 9 inches long.  You will need twenty four wedges if using the 15 degree ruler.


Lay out the wedges on a 12 1/2" ruler or on your cutting mat, making sure to cover the corners to the 12 1/2" mark.



When you are happy with your placement, start sewing together.  Sew the wedges into pairs, then six together for a quarter of the block, and the all twenty four together.  Trim the block to 12 1/2" and then add a circle of background fabric over the centre hole.

Happy stitching.


2 comments: