Wednesday 1 February 2012

Still Hexing along



I decided I had better start sewing some of my hexagons together so that at the end of the year I'm not overwhelmed by the task.  This week's block was fun to colour differently to create blocks that looked very different from each other.


These are the tools I'm using that may be a little different from what you have used for english paper piecing.  Following advice from Sue Daley I am glue basting the fabric to the papers. Sue uses silk finished papers.  I am using regular card stock and the glue releases just fine. The thread I am using is Superior Threads bottom line 60wt polyester.  It comes in the Super Bob donut preloaded with a variety of colours.  Sue had recommended this thread.  I was a little sceptical until I tried it.  I love it.  The fine thread sinks nicely into the fabric making my stitches ALMOST invisible.  The circular cutting mat is made by Sue's company and is the perfect size to hold on my lap for cutting and glueing the fabric.

Katja carries most of these supplies, or you can ask your local quilt store to order them in for you if you don't live in the Kamloops area.

I have just linked up to Lily's Fresh Sewing Day.  If you are visiting from there, welcome.  So what have I been sewing lately besides my Hexagons and Farmer's Wife?


I am playing with some 30s fabric and Dresden Plates.  I have the borders, quilting and binding to go yet so I will show you the whole thing when I'm done.


I just finished quilting this sweet little quilt for Carla.  Pop on over to her blog to check out the finished quilt.

Last but not least, don't forget to enter my Bali Pop giveaway on last Thursday's post.  The draw is on Friday.  I am so excited by all your lovely comments.  I can hardly wait to see who wins.
If you are commenting as anonymous make sure you give me your name if I know you personally, or give me your email address if I have yet to meet you!

13 comments:

  1. Your hexies look great sewn together. Smart move to keep up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hexagons Linda, the colours are fabulous. And you, once again, did a great job on Carla's quilt.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hexies look perfect and lovely. I am a little afraid of all the handwork that goes into hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the hexies. I really like the little heart quilting you did on Carla's quilt. So cute, really fits the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hexagons ar beautiful, I believe I just got hooked. Great job on Carla's quilt. I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got got hooked on hexagons. The quilting on Carla's quilt is beautiful. I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting to really like the "hexies"
    They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of your hexies, are they terribly complicated? I want to try but am a bit intimidated by these lovlies.
    I lovin' the quilt for Carla, too cute!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the hexie queen!! They are great! I love all the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the hexies! You always have lots of interesting things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your sweet bird quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the hexies! I am working on some right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work. I'm going to do one...one day!

    ReplyDelete