Friday, 23 January 2015

Tokyo Train Ride Bug Quilt

One of my favourite pieces of the new Cotton + Steel collection, is the "bugs" from Sarah's Tokyo Train Ride line.

Are they not adorable?  Love the skulls in the wings, perfect for those of us with a little bit twisted sense of humour.

I turned the bugs into a very respectable star quilt.  At first glance it is so soft and cuddly, then you see the bugs. The quilt is currently hanging out at Katja's if you would like to see it in person.

As the quilt was a salesman sample, it had to be done in a hurry.  I quilted it with all over swirl feathers to add texture quickly.

Linking up with Finish it up Friday.

Friday, 16 January 2015

A Lone Star Quilt with Attitude!

I have always been fascinated with the Lone Star quilt.  My first child's baby quilt was a Lone Star.  Back in the dark ages the fabric was marked with pencil, and cut with scissors.  We have certainly came a ways since then.

I have admired a few Lone Star quilts on various blogs, and decided it was time I made a more modern version.

I pondered the problem so many people have with the centre not laying flat.  I came up with a solution and I was even impressed with how flat my centre was.  Yippeeeee!

I gave myself permission to play in the background.  So much open space, so much fun to be had.

This quilt is going to be my new class.  I am really excited to be sharing it with so many quilting friends.

Linking up with Finish it up Friday!  As well this week I'm linking with TGIFF and Link A Finish Friday.

Monday, 12 January 2015

More Cotton + Steel

Today's quilt is a simple pattern.  Squares with sashing.  When there are a lot of quilts to be done in a short amount of time, simple is good.

I tried a quick photo edit and I couldn't get the colour right on any of the pics.  Sorry.

I quilted the background and the squares with a funky orange peel.  One of my favourite prints is the View Master print.  It brings back such fun memories!

Friday, 9 January 2015

Cotton + Steel Diamond Ring Quilt

It is finally here!  Cotton + Steel has arrived in the Canadian Quilt Shops.  Yahoo!!!!!!  I did bring a little back from fall market and have been waiting impatiently to show you what I made with it.

Both these quilts are from the "Diamond Ring Quilt" pattern by Green Bee (Alexia Abegg.)    They were both made for Trendtex.  One toured Canada with various fabric reps.  The other toured B.C. with the local fabric rep.  It is currently at Cherry Tree Quilts in Summerland.

The first quilt was quilted with swirls in the background and straight lines in the diamonds.  It needed a lot of quilting.  When I finished piecing it my husband remarked that it looked like a topographical map.  Lumps and bumps everywhere!  I quilted it flat and then went back to the drawing board with the second quilt.

With a lot more accuracy, the second quilt was flat.  I could quilt it however I wanted.  I decided it needed a swirl in the centre and rays radiating out to represent the sun.  In the diamonds I quilted a fern, just because I could.

I'm on my way to Katja's today to pick up a little more cotton + steel!  Come back next Monday to see more Cotton + Steel quilts.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

Thursday, 1 January 2015

The New Hexagon Millefiore Quiltalong

If you haven't checked out Katja's Millefiore quilt along yet, click here!  I was fortunate enough to be a pattern tester for the quilt along.

This is Rosette # 1.  I used the Cotton and Steel mustangs in two colour ways.  I threw in a bit of the new Cotton and steel that should be in local stores in a couple of weeks.

Rosette #2 is a partial rosette.  I picked the lions as the feature print, and once again mixed old and new cotton and steel together.  Loving the larger english paper pieces.  The rosettes go together fairly fast.  I'm itching to get the next pattern to test.  Impatiently of course!

Hope you are all having a great New Year and find lots of time to do the things you love!

Friday, 19 December 2014

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

My wish for all of you is that this holiday season you spend lots of time with those that you love!!!!  Even though not all of my children will be home for Christmas, I am sure my house will be filled with love and laughter.  For that I am so thankful!

I have finished my Christmas sewing, and since the last gift will be given later today, I can share my projects now.

This little quilt was a gift for Katja.  She loves text fabrics and orange.  I looked high and low for a text that I liked for the printing.  I couldn't find one, so at the last minute I drew the letters freehand.  After lots of revision I came up with the version shown.

This quilt is going to my daughter's house.

The fabric is "The Ghastlies" by Alexander Henry.  It looks like a cross between Halloween and Christmas.  I was given the fabric and challenged to come up with a quilt.  I couldn't resist!  Leslie understands my sense of humour and said she would like the quilt.  It will make it to her house shortly.

Last up are my "sew together bags."  The yellow and blue is made from Moda "Best Day Ever" fabric. The second bag uses "Cotton and Steel."  It is the new line that will be in stores early in the new year.  Both bags are for quilty friends.

Enjoy the holidays, and stay safe!!!

Linking with Finish It Up Friday.

Sunday, 14 December 2014

December Modern Group

With all the hustle and bustle of December, this months Modern Quilt Group was a small but enthusiastic group.  After a English Paper Piecing demo from Katja, we had a rousing game of Quilter's Jeopardy.  Lots of laughs at the questions we didn't get!
Most of the show and tell was Christmas gift related.

The next Modern Quilt Group meeting will be January 10, 2015 at 1 pm.  Hope to see you there!