Friday 19 February 2016

Groovy Satchel

I had previously made a "Groovy Satchel" for a friend.  Happy to say that she has used it so much that it is almost wore out.  Sooooooo, it was time to make another one.


This time I used a Hoffman digital print.


The pattern is in the book "Style and Swing."  I have made a few bags from this book.  They are fairly easy to make.

The last time I made this bag I used interfacing as suggested in the book.  After a few washes, the bag had lost all of it's shape.  I wanted something a little more substantial, but not as heavy as the soft and stable that I used in last weeks bag.



I had read somewhere that car headliner (available at upholstery shops) was an option.  I went to Rosemarie's shop and ask her husband if he thought it would work.  He only slightly rolled his eyes at me, and then pulled out the headliner to compare to the soft and stable.  Both have foam with a polyester layer.  Soft and stable has it on both sides, headliner only on one side.  The headliner, in grey, was slightly thinner.  I took a piece of both and threw them through the washer and drier.  They both came out fine.  So into the bag the headliner went.  The bag isn't as firm as the one last week, but I'm happy with the results.



I have decided to try and make the one hundred blocks that are going to be presented for The Splendid Sampler.  There are so many quilt alongs happening on line, it was hard to decide which one to do.  This one won out, because of all the fabulous designers that are taking part.  If you haven't checked it out yet, click here and see what you think.

Linking up with Finish it up Friday!

6 comments:

  1. I need to make bags... Yes I do. Yours are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bag! I'm 'collecting' the blocks for the Splendid Sampler, but, don't know when I'll start on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see someone else doing the ss project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely worth trying out different products. The bag does look lovely.
    Good luck with the 100 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag Linda, maybe you could teach a class, I would attend....

    ReplyDelete