Friday 29 January 2016

Black Tie Affair!!!!!

Yippee!  It is finally released to quilt shops near you.  Black Tie Affair by BasicGrey for Moda.


I started this quilt for myself using a fat quarter pack of Black Tie and a couple of metres of an accent fabric from Zen Chic Paper.  Part way through the construction my arm was twisted just a bit, and I agreed to let it go off to a new home.  I'm hoping to make another one for myself.


I kept the quilting fairly simple, so the fabric could really shine through.

A friend asked for a tutorial on making the block, so here goes.


From the main fabric cut a 6 1/2" square, four 4 1/2" x 2 1/2", four 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" and four 7 1/2" x 2 1/2" pieces.  From the accent fabric cut four 3 1/2" x 2 1/2", four 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" and four 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" pieces.  I was using a directional fabric, so I took a little more time cutting my pieces.





Add 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" accent pieces to two 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" main fabric piece using the connector corner method.  Trim out the extra fabric.


Add  5 1/2" x 2 1/2" accent pieces to the other two 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" main fabric pieces using the same method.




Add the 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" main fabric pieces to two of the 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" accent pieces using connector corners as shown.  Add the 7 1/2" x 2 1/2" main fabric pieces to the last two 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" accent pieces.


Lay all the pieces out as show.




Piece your block together and enjoy!

Linking up with Finish it up Friday.

16 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful block, and a beautiful quilt!!! Thanks for a super tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY PRETTY! THANKS FOR SHARING!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beauty... Thanks for the tutorial I'll have to but it on my list.
    Lovely quilt beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice quilt! Yes, you need to make another one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt and you will need to make yourself one.Thanks for the block tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness, I love this quilt/block! Thank you so much for doing up a tute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe your arm was broken and you almost shed some tears.....but you are generous to a fault. It's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You gave it awaaaaaaaaaay? It's gorgeous Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is beautiful! I just purchased this fabric. Would you mind sharing how big this quilt was? And how much fabric was used for making the blocks and total quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She says in her instructions that each block finishes at 14"x14", and the entire 36-block quilt finishes at 84"x84". What I'd like to know is how many FQ's are needed per block? (Looks like you could get 2 blocks from 1 FQ).

      Delete
  11. I made a sample block today and just love it! It was lots of fun to make and is so elegant. It has such potential. Did you design this block? It's genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely going to try this block. I just picked up my Black Tie Affair fat quarter collection on Saturday. What a beautiful design to showcase this gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should have added a thank you for taking the time to do a tutorial. Great job. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation, and for making a tutorial so we can all try it! I think I may just give it whirl, you've de-mystified it for me now. Your quilting is also lovely, and an excellent choice. You're right, the fabric does shine through, just as you intended, Linda! (I'm adding your blog to my favourites).

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is still one of my favorite quilts ever!

    ReplyDelete