Friday 9 October 2015

Finishing up my New Hexagon Millefiore Quilt

What is the last thing you need to do to finish your New Hexagon Millefiore quilt?  The edge of course.  I decided I would use facing to finish my irregular edge.


 Here is a great video from Marci Baker that I have used before for this type of finish.


I had basted the edges while I was quilting, so I used scissors to cut the excess batting and backing away.


I then stitched a scant quarter inch from the edge with a thread that I could easily see on the back of the quilt.


I cut my facing fabric 1 1/4" deeper than the irregular edge.  I would recommend cutting a little bit bigger, as this was a difficult size to work with when working the corners.  I ironed the edge that wasn't going to be sewn under 1/4".  I pinned the facing even with the outermost edge of the quilt.


From the back of the quilt I stitched just inside my previously stitched lines.  This is the reason I needed to use thread I could see.


This is what the facing looks like on the front of the quilt.


I trimmed away the excess facing, trimmed the outer corners and snipped close to the stitching on the inner corners.


The facing was turned to the back and then ironed into place.  The last step was to hand stitch the facing to the back of the quilt.  I'm not showing the mitred corners, as I'm not terrible pleased with them.  Watch Marci's video in the link above and cut your facing a little bigger than I did.  One added note, the facing on the top and bottom will be a different size than the sides of the quilt, as the offset is different.  Measure the offset, add the amount you would like to have to work with the back, and cut your facing.  It is a little fiddly to make, but a lot easier than adding a binding and having to turn multiple corners at a sixty degree angle.

I was in Valemount last weekend teaching my Lone Star class.  Two of the women finished their tops before I left.



The black top was cut from 2 1/2" strips and the bottom quilt was cut from 4" strips.  Both are stunning!

Linking up with Finish it up Friday!

6 comments:

  1. you were obviously a good teacher as the results are wonderful x well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she is a great teacher, she makes you think you can do almost anything.
    It's a beautiful quilt...
    Thanks Linda for your continued encouragement along this quilting trail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hexie finish looks really neat and tidy Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely way to finish the edges. I had not seen that before.
    The lone stars are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice neat edges! I can imagine that would be easier than binding!! Wow at the lone stars, such lovely colours. Popping in from Crazy Mom Quilts as part of my blog commenting challenge 300 in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete